Guys, it’s hard enough to decide it’s time to propose, let alone figure out what ring to present her with at that special moment. But there’s also the question of… When? In honor of Valentine’s Day, I wanted to discuss The Holiday Proposal.
There are 365 days a year when you can propose (heck, there’s even an extra 366th day during a Leap Year), so which day should you choose? Some people propose on a holiday, such as Christmas, New Years, Valentine’s Day, or even Independence Day (built-in fireworks!). Is that the best way to go for you? Is that what she really wants? Here are some things to consider:
- Is this holiday something special to her? If your girlfriend has always said New Years is silly, or Valentine’s Day is just a holiday fueled by companies trying to sell chocolate and flowers, it might not be the best day for you to propose.
- How important is it that you remember the date you proposed? Usually couples celebrate the day of their first date, or of their marriage, so celebrating the date of the proposal each year isn’t all that important. But, it might give an extra oomph to the holiday each year when you are able to reminisce about the year you proposed.
- Will it make for a good story? Proposing to the woman you love is a momentous occassion, and you want to make it special for her. Just remember to keep that sentiment alive when proposing on a holiday. Propose with the same planning and detail as you would on any other day, rather than hoping that just the fact that it happened on a holiday will be enough. After being proposed to, women love to be able to tell their friends all the unique details of their romantic proposal.
- Is there a chance one of her friends will get proposed to on this holiday? If you are friends with her friends (or their boyfriends), try and see if you can find out whether any of the other guys in the group are planning to propose on that day. While we girls love to be supportive of our friends when they get engaged, we might not want to share to spotlight when it comes to announcing our special news.
- Is she hoping you will propose soon? Here’s a little secret guys — if you and your girlfriend have talked about marriage, and you can tell that she has been hoping you will surprise her with a ring soon, then every time a holiday comes around she is thinking you might propose. We know that holidays are a key time for people to get engaged, and so we wonder if it just might be the day we get proposed to as well.
In the end, you know your girlfriend and what she likes. If you think there are some things from the list above that might mean she won’t enjoy a holiday proposal, then hold off for another day. Heck, propose on the day before a holiday! She’ll never expect that!
What do you think, Ladies? Would you want to be proposed to on a holiday?
Candy hearts image found here.